Last updated: April 27, 2021
This section tells you about assistance programs other than Medicaid and Marketplace health insurance.
Other Assistance Programs
Some people can receive coverage and services from places other than Medicaid and the Marketplace that are designed for certain populations. These types of programs serve people who have special circumstances such as people with disabilities, veterans, immigrants, and people without legal immigration status. These programs provide health insurance, extra health care coverage, services to help people stay in their homes and communities, cash benefits, free legal services, and other benefits.
If you need more information or assistance to get coverage or services, you may be able to find information and help at the links below:
Services for Older Adults:
- The Illinois Department on Aging offers many programs that encourage independence, dignity, and quality of life for older adults in Illinois. See a full list of programs here.
Services for People with Disabilities:
- The Department of Human Services’ Home Services Program provides services to individuals with severe disabilities so they can remain in their homes and be as independent as possible.
Services for Veterans:
- The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs offers several programs and events for Veterans. Find your nearest Veteran Service Office by using this online search tool or by calling (800) 437-9824 if calling from within Illinois; out-of-state (217) 782-6641; or TDD (217) 524-4645.
- The Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network is a statewide hotline that provides legal information, advice, brief services (including the preparation and review of legal documents), and referrals to veterans, service members, national guard, reservists, and their spouses and dependents. Call 855-IL-AFLAN (855-452-3526) to talk to an attorney if you are a veteran, service member, national guard, reservist, or spouse or dependent.
Services for Immigrants and Non-Citizens:
- The Illinois Department of Human Services offers Refugee & Immigrant Services to qualifying immigrants and refugees
- The Illinois Welcoming Center helps new immigrants learn about services and programs that can help them transition to Illinois.
- Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights Family Support Network and Hotline (1-855-435-7693) provides immigrants with information and referrals to legal, ministry, and social services.
Free Legal Advice and Assistance:
- Illinois Legal Aid Online can help you find legal information and free legal assistance.
- CARPLS offers free legal assistance and has a legal aid hotline (312-738-9200).
- ILHousingSearch.org helps people in Illinois find housing to meet their needs.
- The Illinois Department of Employment Security offers many programs to support employment, such as job fairs, help with unemployment claims, and more.
Child Care Assistance:
- The Illinois Department of Human Services offers Child Care Assistance to help income-eligible families pay for their child care services.
Get Help With Your Application