Last updated: January 23, 2024


This section describes some other public benefits in Illinois you may want to apply for.

Applying for Other Benefits

If you are applying for Medicaid, you may be eligible for other types of assistance with ABE:

  • SNAP – Sometimes called food stamps, for help buying food
  • Cash Assistance – Help pay for food, shelter, utilities, and expenses for low income families with children living in the household
  • Medicare Savings – Help paying Medicare premiums

You can also apply for many other benefits in Illinois to help you and your family.

IDHS’ Child Care Assistance Program provides low-income, working families with access to affordable, quality child care that allows them to continue working and contributes to the healthy, emotional and social development of the child. CCAP can help families pay for care in center-based or home settings. Families are required to cost-share on a sliding scale based on family size and income.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible low-income households pay for home energy services (primarily heating during winter months).

WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.

These programs provide services that allow individuals to remain in their own homes or live in a community setting, instead of in an institution.


Need More Help?

You can always set up a free appointment with an Assister for in-person help with these applications: