Last updated: May 15, 2018


This section tells you how to appeal decisions about your Medicaid case that you don't agree with.

What is an appeal?

You can appeal any decision, action, or inaction that you do not agree with that has been made by the Department of Human Services (DHS) or Health Care and Family Services (HFS). For example, you can file an appeal if you are cut off of Medicaid or if Medicaid denies coverage of any health care service, supply, or prescription drug that you think you should be able to get.

How do I appeal a decision I don’t agree with?

The easiest way to file an appeal is online through your Manage My Case account. The Appeals button is at the top of every screen. Choose the reason for your appeal from the list on the screen and follow the directions to file your appeal.

You can also file an appeal by phone, fax, mail, email or in person. You can find links to the forms you will need to fill out at the DHS website.

You will continue to receive your benefits if you request a hearing on or before the date your benefits are to be cut back or stopped. The notice telling you about the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) decision will give you the date by which you must appeal to have your benefits continued. If you appeal in time, You can request that your benefits continue until the appeal is decided, unless you tell IDHS that you do not want to continue your benefits.


Need More Help?

If you need a lawyer to help you with your appeal, you can: